Sayings not found in Scripture
The Bible tells us the opposite in Jeremiah 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?
(2) Moderation in all things:
This saying originates from Aristotle's Doctrine of the Mean
(3) God helps those who help themselves:
This saying originates from Benjamin Franklin. Again we are told the opposite from scripture.
5:6 For when we were yet without strength,
in due time Christ died for the ungodly.
Proverbs 28:26 He that trusteth in his own heart is a fool: but whoso walketh wisely, he shall be delivered.
Jeremiah 17:5 Thus saith the LORD; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeth from the LORD.
(4) Money is the root of all evil:
The actual passage reads 1 Timothy 6:10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows. It mentions the love of money not money itself.
(5) This too shall pass:
Is not found anywhere in Scripture.
(6) God works in mysterious ways:
This saying might have originated from William Cowper's hymn "God Moves in a Mysterious Way".
(7) The eye is the window to the soul:
The Bible does not speak of the eye being a window to the
soul, but rather is the light of the body.
Matthew 6:22 The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.
Luke 11:34 The light of the body is the eye: therefore when thine eye is single, thy whole body also is full of light; but when thine eye is evil, thy body also is full of darkness.
(8)The lion shall lay down with the lamb:
Isaiah 11:6 The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them.
The wolf is paired with the Lamb and the lion is paired
with the fatling (calf)
Isaiah 65:25 The wolf and the lamb shall feed together, and the lion shall eat straw like the bullock: and dust shall be the serpent's meat. They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain, saith the LORD.
The wolf is paired with the Lamb and the lion is paired with the bullock (ox)
(9) Pride comes before the fall:
Proverbs 16:18 reads Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.
Pride is paired with destruction and not with a fall
(10) The Three Wisemen:
There is no place in scripture where we are told that there were three wisemen. Here is the story as if unfolds in the Bible.
Matthew 2:1 Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judaea in the days of Herod the king, behold, there came wise men from the east to Jerusalem,
(2) Saying, Where is he that is born King of the Jews? for we have seen his star in the east, and are come to worship him.
(3) When Herod the king had heard these things, he was troubled, and all Jerusalem with him.
(4) And when he had gathered all the chief priests and scribes of the people together, he demanded of them where Christ should be born.
(5) And they said unto him, In Bethlehem of Judaea: for thus it is written by the prophet,
(6) And thou Bethlehem, in the land of Juda, art not the least among the princes of Juda: for out of thee shall come a Governor, that shall rule my people Israel.
(7) Then Herod, when he had privily called the wise men, enquired of them diligently what time the star appeared.
(8) And he sent them to Bethlehem, and said, Go and search diligently for the young child; and when ye have found him, bring me word again, that I may come and worship him also.
(9) When they had heard the king, they departed; and, lo, the star, which they saw in the east, went before them, till it came and stood over where the young child was.
(10) When they saw the star, they rejoiced with exceeding great joy.
And when they were come into the house, they saw the young
child with Mary his mother, and fell down, and worshipped
him: and when they had opened their treasures, they
presented unto him gifts; gold, and frankincense, and myrrh.
(11) Wisemen visited Jesus in the manager:
Also the wisemen did not visit Jesus when in was in the
manger. But rather they found Him as a young child in a
house not a stable Matthew 2:11
(12) You can be so heavenly minded that you are no earthly good:
This is not found anywhere in Scripture. However Jesus was more Heavenly minded that anyone who ever lived. He also did the most earthly good.
(13) Charity begins at home:
Is not found anywhere in Scripture.
** Note all references are taken from the King James Version.