Christian Rock and Roll - Part 11
But aren't you limiting God?
We’re believing what God said in His Word.
You do NOT limit God by believing and obeying His Word.
And we're obeying God by "examining" CCM with the Word of God.
Prove ALL things; [that includes CCM] hold fast that which is good. 1 Thessalonians 5:21
Beloved, believe not every spirit, but TRY the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world. 1 John 4:1
Unto the angel of the church of Ephesus write; These things saith he
that holdeth the seven stars in his right hand, who walketh in the
midst of the seven golden candlesticks;
(2) I know thy works, and thy labour, and thy patience, and how thou canst not bear them which are evil: and thou hast TRIED them which say they are apostles, and are not, and hast found them LIARS: Revelation 2:1-2
Just because someone is a Christian, or loves the Lord — does not justify their disobedience to the Word of God. Just because CCM (or anything or anybody) calls itself "Christian" Contemporary Music does not justify it's blatant disobedience to the Word of God. We have documented this open and blatant disobedience many times.
God is more interested in our obedience to the Word of God than any "fruits" that disobedience could produce.
I'm going to say that again — God is more interested in our obedience to the Word of God than any "fruits" that disobedience could produce.
How do I know that? He said so!
In 1 Samuel 15, the Lord told Saul, the king of Israel, to "utterly destroy Amalek".
Thus saith the LORD of hosts, I remember that which Amalek did to
Israel, how he laid wait for him in the way, when he came up from
(3) Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass. 1 Samuel 15:2-3
And Saul did that – almost did that. . . Saul destroyed what was bad — "every thing that was vile and refuse, that they destroyed utterly" but Saul spared what was good — " But Saul and the people spared Agag, and the best of the sheep, and of the oxen, and of the fatlings, and the lambs, and all that was good". Saul kept the good and destroyed the bad. Now what was wrong with that? It disobeyed the word of God!
And Saul smote the Amalekites from Havilah until thou comest to
Shur, that is over against Egypt.
(8) And he took Agag the king of the Amalekites alive, and utterly destroyed all the people with the edge of the sword.
(9) But Saul and the people spared Agag, and the best of the sheep, and of the oxen, and of the fatlings, and the lambs, and all that was good, and would not utterly destroy them: but every thing that was vile and refuse, that they destroyed utterly. 1 Samuel 15:7-9
Was God pleased with the good "fruits" that Saul spared? After all, Saul "spared the best of the sheep and of the oxen, to sacrifice unto the LORD thy God".
And Saul said, They have brought them from the Amalekites: for the people spared the best of the sheep and of the oxen, to sacrifice unto the LORD thy God; and the rest we have utterly destroyed 1 Samuel 15:15
Even though Saul's disobedience was for good — "to sacrifice unto the LORD thy God" — God was not pleased! Why? Saul utterly destroyed the "vile and refuse" and spared "the good" — for the Lord! God is more pleased with our complete OBEDIENCE than ANY "fruits or souls" our DISOBEDIENCE could produce! How do I KNOW that — HE SAID SO!
And Samuel said, Hath the LORD as great delight in burnt offerings
and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the LORD? Behold, to
OBEY is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of
(23) For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry. Because thou hast rejected the word of the LORD, he hath also rejected thee from being king. 1 Samuel 15:22-23
God clearly says "to obey is better than sacrifice". God is more pleased with our obedience than ANY fruit our disobedience to the Word of God could produce!
Obedience to the Word of God is the foundation of the Christian faith — above anything. Above any "souls that are saved", "any blessings", or "any good we could do"! Even though CCM may praise the Lord, and even if souls are saved, or whatever good CCM could possibly do — it will NOT please the Lord as much as obeying His Word! And it is clear — just as Saul did NOT obey the Word of God — CCM does NOT obey the Word of God! (Again, we have documented CCM's open disobedience many times.)
It's interesting to note that Amalekite is a type of the FLESH in the Word of God. It's interesting that God has "sworn He will have war with Amalek from generation to generation."
For he said, Because the LORD hath sworn that the LORD will have war with Amalek from generation to generation. Exodus 17:16
And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts. Galatians 5:24
CCM not only refuses to "crucify the flesh" but CCM "flaunts" and "glorifies" the flesh. Rather than obey the Word of God and "come out from among them, and be ye separate" (2 Corinthians 6:17), CCM blatantly disobeys the Word of God, by copying the world, fellowshipping with the world, looking like the world and even attempting to "crossover" into the fleshly, secular world.
CCM limits God by openly and consistently disobeying the Word of God!
Another example is the sacrifices of Cain and Abel. Even though Cain "honored the Lord" and "brought of the fruit of the ground an offering unto the LORD" — God was not pleased with Cain's offering. Why? Cain disobeyed the Lord. Even though Cain "honored" the Lord and gave an "offering" to the Lord — God was not pleased!
And in process of time it came to pass, that Cain brought of the
fruit of the ground an offering unto the LORD.
(4) And Abel, he also brought of the firstlings of his flock and of the fat thereof. And the LORD had respect unto Abel and to his offering:
(5) But unto Cain and to his offering he had not respect. And Cain was very wroth, and his countenance fell. Genesis 4:3-5
Cain "brought of the fruit of the ground an offering unto the LORD" but — God was not pleased! Cain wanted to worship the Lord "his way" rather than God's way. Disobedience! Just like CCM — the way of Cain! CCM does it "their way" rather than obey the Lord! Even though, CCM may "offer songs unto the Lord" — God is not pleased with CCM's blatant and disobedience to the Word of God.
Another example of "disobedience that good may come" is the ark and Uzza. In 1 Chronicles 13, David brings the ark from Kirjathjearim. And as they are bringing the ark, the oxen stumbled and Uzza put forth his hand to hold the ark. And guess what? God killed Uzza, on the spot, for touching the ark! Even though Uzza was "doing good" — he disobeyed God and God was ANGRY — "And the ANGER of the LORD was kindled against Uzza, and he smote him".
So David gathered all Israel together, from Shihor of Egypt even
unto the entering of Hemath, to bring the ark of God from
Kirjathjearim. . .
(7) And they carried the ark of God in a new cart out of the house of Abinadab: and Uzza and Ahio drave the cart.
(8) And David and all Israel played before God with all their might, and with singing, and with harps, and with psalteries, and with timbrels, and with cymbals, and with trumpets.
(9) And when they came unto the threshingfloor of Chidon, Uzza put forth his hand to hold the ark; for the oxen stumbled.
(10) And the anger of the LORD was kindled against Uzza, and he smote him, because he put his hand to the ark: and there he died before God. 1 Chronicles 13:5-10
Uzza knew better than "touch" the ark. But the ark was obviously NOT sacred and holy to Uzza anymore. Uzza no longer feared the Lord. Uzza wanted it his way rather than God's. Just as Uzza, God's music is no longer sacred and holy to CCM any more. CCM "touches" and "defiles" God's music with the filth of rock music. And like Uzza, CCM no longer fears the Lord. And like Uzza, rather than obey the Lord, CCM does it their way — rather than God's way.
God is not pleased with disobedience to His word — even if good comes from it!
Paul addresses this "good from disobedience" in Romans 3:
For if the truth of God hath more abounded through my lie
unto his glory; why yet am I also judged as a sinner?
(8) And not rather, (as we be slanderously reported, and as some affirm that we say,) Let us do evil, that good may come? whose damnation is just. Romans 3:7-8
You don't limit God by obeying His word — you show your love for Him!
Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, HE WILL KEEP MY WORDS: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him. John 14:23
You don't limit God by obeying His word — you maximize Him in your life!
For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe. 1 Thessalonians 2:13
You don't limit God by obeying His word — but you sure limit Him by disobeying His word! In Psalms 78, Israel does not believe the Lord and disobeyed the Lord and they — "limited the Holy One of Israel"!
Because they believed not in God, and trusted not in his
salvation:. . .
(36) Nevertheless they did flatter him with their mouth, and they lied unto him with their tongues. . .
(37) For their heart was not right with him, neither were they stedfast in his covenant. . .
(41) Yea, they turned back and tempted God, and limited the Holy One of Israel. Psalms 78
Are we limiting God by examining CCM in the light of the Word of God? No. We're obeying His Word.
But CCM is limiting God by openly disobeying the Word of God.
** Note all references are taken from the King James Version.