Christian Rock and Roll - Part 15
How can CCM "mention the Lord Jesus" and yet be wrong?
Many people have written, and
"Yes, there are serious compromises in CCM.
Yes, they do fellowship with worldly rockers.
Yes, CCM has some spiritual problems — but
I’ve seen them mention Jesus.
I’ve seen them give ‘altar calls’.
I’ve seen them do good.
How is this possible if Satan is involved?"
People believe that if Jesus Christ is mentioned or if the person professes to be a Christian then — it must be ok! But that false ideal does not match the word of God.
"Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because MANY false prophets are gone out into the world."
1 John 4:1
But before we begin, let me establish a few basic Bible facts:
- There is a real supernatural evil being call Satan. The name Satan occurs 56 times in the King James Bible.
- Satan desires to be like God. Isaiah 14:13-14, refers to Satan, "For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north: I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.
- Satan desires worship. When Satan tempted Jesus Christ in Matthew 4: 9, he said, "And saith unto him, All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me."
- Satan is a deceiver. Revelation 12:9 "And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him."
- Satan will try to counterfeit the things of God. Satan can appear as an "angel of light". "And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light." 2 Corinthians 11:14
- Satan's message is not always evil or openly wrong . When Satan tempted Eve in the garden of Eden — it wasn't openly evil or bad — in fact it was GOOD and PLEASANT. Genesis 3:6 "And when the woman saw that the tree was GOOD for food, and that it was PLEASANT to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat."
- Satan's main goal is to get someone to disobey the word of God. If someone is not saved, Satan's goal is to keep that person from obeying the word of God for salvation. And if someone is saved, Satan's goal is to keep that person from obeying the word of God for service. Satan does NOT want you to do the will of God.
BUT. . .
CCM's message is good. It is not bad or evil.
Satan's message doesn't necessarily have to be "wrong" or "evil", in fact it can even appear "good" or "pleasant" — as long as it keeps you from obeying the word of God. In Genesis chapter three, as Eve eyed the "forbidden" fruit, the Bible says:
Genesis 3:6 "And when the woman saw that the tree was GOOD for food, and that it was PLEASANT to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat."
According to Genesis 3:6, the "forbidden fruit" was "good", "pleasant" and "make one wise". What is wrong with that? It wasn't "satanic". It wasn't "evil". It was "good" and "pleasant". What is wrong with that? Simple. IT WAS AGAINST THE WORD OF GOD!
Genesis 2:16-17 "And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat: But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die."
That single, simple act of rebellion damned mankind! That innocent act of disobedience damned mankind! And yet it appeared "good" and "pleasant"! The ONLY problem was — it was against the word of God!
Just because something isn't "evil" — just because something isn't openly "satanic" — does NOT mean Satan is not the author! And just because something appears "good" — and just because something appears "right" — does NOT mean it is RIGHT!
Does it disobey the word of God? If it does — no matter how it appears — it is NOT the will of God!
God does NOT lie. God is NOT going to DISOBEY His own words. For if He did — God would be a LIAR. And that is NOT possible. . .
Titus 1:2 "In hope of eternal life, which God, THAT CANNOT LIE, promised before the world began;"
Christian rock (CCM), as we have documented on this site over and over, blatantly, openly, and many times proudly — disobeys the clear teaching of the word of God!
BUT. . .
Some CCM artists seem to genuinely "love" the Lord.
But even "love" is NOT a guarantee against Satanic influence. Even though someone "loves" the Lord — even though their motive is "love" for Jesus Christ — they can still be "controlled" by Satan — if they disobey the will of God!
Find that hard to believe?
Matthew 16:13-23 has an amazing dialogue, between Jesus, Peter and Satan:
(13) When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am?
(14) And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets.
(15) He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?
(16) And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.
(17) And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not REVEALED IT unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.
(18) And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
(19) And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
(20) Then charged he his disciples that they should tell no man that he was Jesus the Christ.
(21) From that time forth began Jesus to show unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day.
(22) Then Peter took him, and began to rebuke him, saying, Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall not be unto thee.
(23) But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.
A few interesting things about Matthew 16:13-23:
verse 17, Peter had a
direct revelation from God — " .
. .for flesh and blood hath not REVEALED it unto thee,
but my Father which is in heaven." Again, notice God
"REVEALED" it unto Peter. I doubt, few people ever received the
"revelation" such as Peter received at that moment. And I'm sure
very few people have ever been as close to the Lord Jesus Christ
- But look what
happens in verse 23 –
just 6 verses later! "But he turned,
and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan:. . ."
Just seven verses after God had "revealed" unto Peter —
Jesus addresses Peter as Satan! Satan had completely taken over
Peter! What was coming out of the mouth of Peter was not the
words from God or even Peter — but straight from Satan!
- Peter's message
was NOT bad or evil. In fact, humanly speaking, it was good. It
was positive. But it was against the word of God — and it's
author was Satan!
- But look
at something else in Matthew 16:
Peter's motive. As Jesus began in
verse 21 to tell how He
would be crucified, verse 22
reads, "Then Peter took him, and began
to rebuke him, saying, Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall
not be unto thee."
What was Peter's motive? It was his LOVE FOR THE LORD JESUS! He didn't want Jesus to be crucified! And even though Peter's motive was RIGHT — when he got out of the will of God — Satan COMPLETELY TOOK OVER! You can have the RIGHT motive, even love for the Lord Jesus Christ, and be completely WRONG and under control of Satan!
Sincerity, love and motive is no substitute for obeying the WORD OF GOD!
The Christian Rock stars may have the RIGHT motive, but only a carnal, backslidden, disobedient Christian could possibly think rock music was the direct will of God!
The secular world knows the God of the Bible is NOT the "god of rock". The lost, secular world knows Satan is the "god of rock".
Rock star David Bowie said, "Rock has always been THE DEVILS MUSIC." (Rolling Stone, Feb. 12, 1976, p. 83)
Secular rock bad girl Lita Ford, says, "Listen, rock’n roll AIN'T CHURCH. It’s nasty business. You gotta be nasty too. If you’re goody, goody, you can’t sing or play it. . ." (Los Angeles Times, August 7, 1988)
Even secular Time magazine, (March 11, 1985 p.60) in an article about Contemporary Christian Music titled the article, "New Lyrics for the DEVIL'S MUSIC".
When rock music first appeared, even the secular world knew it was wrong. The very term "rock'n roll" means "sexual fornication". In The Rolling Stone Encyclopedia of Rock & Roll (p.474) for the definition of "rock & roll" is "The term is a blues euphemism for sexual intercourse". Encyclopedia Britannica Yearbook for 1956 described rock' n roll as, "insistent savagery . . . deliberately competing with the artistic ideals of the jungle."
BUT. . .
Most CCM artists appear as Christians doing God's will.
In 2 Corinthians 11:14-15:, the word of God reveals an alarming characteristic of Satan and his ministers:
And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.(2 Corinthians 11:14-15)
The Bible CLEARLY says in 2 Corinthians 11:14-15:
1) Satan can appear as an angel of light.
2) Satan's ministers can appear as the ministers of righteousness [Christians].
Could not Satan's musicians appear as "musicians of righteousness"?
|An interesting side note. . .|
Let me make something VERY clear.
I do NOT believe most of the CCM artists are Satanists. I do NOT believe most of the CCM artists are willingly doing Satan's will. But as I've documented throughout this web site, I DO believe Satan is the author of Christian rock. I DO believe most of the CCM artists are unknowingly caring out Satan's plan.
By the way, do you know who said the following?
Billy Graham? Jack Van Impee? Billy Sunday? Dwight Moody?
"If we continue on this path, respectable, industrious and honest, if we fulfill our duty faithfully, it is my conviction, the Lord God will continually help us in the future. He will not leave respectable people in the lurch indefinitely. He may test them, but in the end He lets His sun shine upon them and gives them His blessing."
Adolph Hitler also called his plan "Positive Christianity." Watch out for the "positive" pushers!
Just because someone mentions the Lord or acts like a Christian, does not mean there are following the Lord Jesus Christ. The real test is — are they following the word of God?
Jesus Christ says in Matthew 7:15 warns of "false prophets, which appear to you in sheep's clothing [as a Christian] but inwardly are ravening wolves"
BUT. . .
Many CCM artists seem to genuinely worship the Lord.
I've seen them in concerts mention Jesus Christ. I've seen them praise the Lord.
Would Satan do that?
In Mark chapter 5, the Lord Jesus Christ has an interesting encounter with a man possessed with an unclean spirit. Verse 6, says, the unclean spirit "worshipped him". Verse 7 says, the unclean spirit, refers to the Lord Jesus, as "Jesus, thou Son of the most high God".
(1) And they came over unto the other side of the sea, into the country of the Gadarenes.
(2) And when he was come out of the ship, immediately there met him out of the tombs a man with an unclean spirit,
(3) Who had his dwelling among the tombs; and no man could bind him, no, not with chains:
(4) Because that he had been often bound with fetters and chains, and the chains had been plucked asunder by him, and the fetters broken in pieces: neither could any man tame him.
(5) And always, night and day, he was in the mountains, and in the tombs, crying, and cutting himself with stones.
(6) But when he saw Jesus afar off, he ran and WORSHIPPED HIM,
(7) And cried with a loud voice, and said, What have I to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of the most high God? I adjure thee by God, that thou torment me not.
(8) For he said unto him, Come out of the man, thou unclean spirit.
According to Mark 5:1-8, the fact that someone mentions Jesus, or even "worships" Him, does NOT mean it is from the Holy Spirit — but could actually be an "unclean spirit".
BUT. . .
Many CCM artists openly say Jesus is Lord.
Isn't that enough to prove it's from God?
Just because someone calls Jesus "Lord" does NOT mean they are a Christian. In Matthew chapter 7, there are MANY people who call Jesus, "Lord"; who " prophesied in thy name"; who "in thy name have cast out devils"; who "and in thy name done many wonderful works" — and yet they were NEVER saved — Jesus Christ NEVER knew them! Notice, not a "few", but verse 22, "MANY . . ." are doing this!
(21) Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
(22) MANY will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
(23) And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity. (Matthew 7:21-23)
You ask, "How do I know who is truly following the Lord Jesus?". Simple. Are they obeying the clear teachings of the word of God?
BUT. . .
Many CCM artists mention salvation.
Would devils or evil spirits mention the name of Jesus or tell of His salvation?
Yes. In Acts 16, an evil spirit follows Paul, and tells the truth:
(17) The same followed Paul and us, and cried, saying, These men are the servants of the most high God, which show unto us the way of salvation.
(18) And this did she many days. But Paul, being grieved, turned and said to the spirit, I command thee in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her. And he came out the same hour. Acts 16:17-18
Even though the evil spirit was telling the truth, the apostle Paul would not honor her testimony. Why? Why didn't Paul say, "C'mon up here sister, and give a word of testimony". Why? Because even though the message was RIGHT — the medium that brought it was WRONG! And God would NOT honor it!
The same with rock music. Either rock music is from God — from day one. Or rock music is from Satan — from day one — and God will NOT honor it's message!
I have NEVER heard a clear, old-fashion, Bible-based plan of salvation from a CCM artist. I have heard several "feel-good", watered-down, "make-a-decision" what ever. I have NEVER heard a simple, You are a sinner; You're going to face judgement; You're going to spend eternity in a lake of fire without Jesus Christ; You can do nothing to save yourself; etc. from ANY CCM artists.
The purpose of this article is NOT — to "judge" who is saved and who is not. We do not know. We do not even try to guess. Only God knows for sure who are truly born again. The purpose of this article is — just because someone appears to be Christian – just because the message appears to be Christian – just because they appear to worship the Lord Jesus — does NOT mean they are following the Lord Jesus Christ!
1 John 4:1 "Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because MANY false prophets are gone out into the world." 1 John 4:1
This article, our web site, our ministry has one MAIN purpose — to get people back to the word of God — the King James Bible. And that is your ONLY safe guide! There is only ONE source you can be 100%, absolutely sure of — the word of God! You can NOT absolutely trust me. You can NOT absolutely trust CCM artists. You can NOT absolutely trust your church, your preacher, your spouse, your parents, your children, nor anybody!
Romans 3:4 "God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; . . ."
And you can NOT EVEN absolutely trust in your own heart!
Jeremiah 17:9 "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?"
Proverbs 28:26 "He that trusteth in his own heart is a fool: . . ."
The ONLY absolute safe position is — the word of God.
And that should be the ONLY test for CCM — or anything or anybody else!
It's NOT they seem to worship the Lord;
It's NOT they mention the name Jesus;
It's NOT they provide an alternative for worldly rock music;
It's NOT they have good, positive lyrics;
It's NOT I like it, or don't like it;
It's NOT I get a "blessing";
It's NOT how much "fruit" you may see;
It's NOT what your church, preacher, friend says;
But does it AGREE with the word of God! If NOT — it is NOT following the Lord Jesus Christ.
Amos 3:3 "Can two walk together, except they be agreed?"
In Numbers 22, Balak the king of the Moabites calls Balaam, the prophet of God, to "curse" the children of Israel. And even though Balaam would not "curse" Israel, he taught Balac to "intermingle" and "fellowship" with Israel.
Revelation 2:14 "But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumbling block before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication."
Just as Balaam, CCM does NOT openly "curse" this generation. But I believe CCM is a modern-day Balaam, who "cast a stumbling block before our children, to feed their minds with music sacrificed unto idols, and to commit spiritual fornication". Who has taught our children to "intermingle" and "fellowship" with the enemies of the Lord Jesus. And I believe the fruit of CCM is spiritual disaster!
We have shown over and over on this web site (and other publications) that Christian Rock does NOT follow the word of God. And we have preached over and over on this web site (and every way we know how) for God's people to "search the scriptures". There is too much at stake to be naive or lazy!
Acts 17:11 May the Lord help you to have the testimony of the Bereans
". . . they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so". Acts 17:11
Our prayer is you will prayerfully, seriously and obediently "try" CCM with the word of God.
** Note all references are taken from the King James Version.